Isn’t summer so much fun? We are enjoying picnics and cookouts with friends. How about your family? Yesterday my husband and I had friends over for dinner.
Hubby grilled hot dogs, burgers and brats. We also served potato salad, a veggie platter, fruit, baked beans and brownies for desert. We had five little girls 5 years and younger running around having a great time in the water sprinkler. The adults tended to the baby boy, and prepped the food for dinner. It was a nice evening as we feasted and fellowshipped on our back deck, enjoying a cooler than usual evening.
Today I am sharing my recipe for the baked beans from our cookout. This is a new recipe I created, and it was a hit with children and adults alike. I have now found my go-to baked beans recipe. I hope you will try them as well.
Summer Cookout Baked Beans
- 2 – 28oz cans Pork and Beans
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 -1 pound bacon, fried and crumbled (cook more or less depending on how much you like bacon)
- bacon drippings
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp dried mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1. Cook bacon, set aside. Now use the bacon drippings to cook the onion and green pepper until soft. Once cooked, place onion and green pepper on paper towel to drain grease. Then set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine beans, ketchup, brown sugar, dried mustard and Worcestershire. Mix well. Next add the onion, green pepper, and half of the crumbled bacon. Mix all ingredients together.
3. Pour into a prepared 13×9 baking dish. Cover with the remaining crumbled bacon on top of the bean mixture.
4. Cook (uncovered) at 350 for 45 minutes.
Remember to link your recipe to our blog carnival: